Sunday 7 December 2014

Crunchy Crackers....

We have been eating a little too much bread lately - we all love freshly baked Arabic bread and the odd white loaf for toast but it was beginning to weigh me down a little and so, as the littlies love crackers I was flitting through some recipes to try and find something easy to rustle up on a Sunday afternoon.

It was during my recipe box flitting that I came across a note I had made about Wendyl Nissen's Swedish cracker recipe and so I went looking in the cupboards for supplies.

I didn't quite have everything she had listed so I came up with my own version based on what I had available:

225g organic bread flour (stoneground)
225g organic Jumbo rolled oats
150g mixture of black and white sesame seeds
50g poppy seeds
75g organic flax seeds
2 tsp seasalt
500ml warm water
1 Tbsp organic olive oil

I put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mixed up evenly.



Then I added the oil and the water and stirred with a fork and then spatula to ensure complete combination.

I oiled two trays and then spread the mixture out on to the two trays - using the back of a spoon to flatten it out into a thin layer on each tray.



Baked in a 130 degree Celsius oven for 15 minutes

Took out the trays and scored the mixture into rectangle shapes with a knife before putting them back in the oven and baking for another hour.





took out and cooled for a few minutes on the tray before breaking up along score lines and putting on a rack to cool completely.

The littlies LOVE them and I do too. The sesame gives it a nice nutty bite - rustic but not like cardboard ;)













No comments:

Post a Comment