Sunday 15 June 2014

A Yarn to tell.....

I am having a ball getting back into knitting and crocheting. One of my Grandmothers taught me to knit when I was about eleven and I managed to produce a neat little summer top, but I never really got into it.
Only years later, with little ones of my own do I now understand the importance of the craftwork skills and not only have I begun knitting again but I have been to a local wool shop for crochet classes and am in seventh heaven looking for beautiful yarns with which to practice.
I am now working on a crochet cardigan for myself after crocheting hats for my wee ones and flowers for embellishments. I have, though, fallen in love with granny squares and the multitude of patterns and projects that can be born from this simple square.

One of my first easy to do and quick to finish projects was a hot water bottle cover.

All I did was crochet 8 granny squares of varying designs, from a lovely little book for beginners - stitched them together (with simple double crochet, although now I have come across 10 different ways to join granny squares I shall be experimenting) and crocheted a slight collar with treble crochet - magic!

http://www.bookdepository.com/Crocheted-Granny-Squares-Val-Pierce/9781844488193


I highly recommend you get to a local crochet class, we must not let these wonderful craft skills die out.

Yarns - kid in a candy store, me!



No comments:

Post a Comment